Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Critique groups

I am in two critique groups at the moment -- one that meets monthly and one that meets every other weeks. But I think I will drop one in the new year because I'm increasingly having trouble remembering what to submit to each group and when. Then, after we meet, it's become difficult to juggle the comments and gain the greatest value from them. Both groups are looking at the same work, though at different points.

This is a difficult decision, however, because I have grown quite fond of the members of both groups and will miss their insights. But it is a decision that has to be made.

I encourage every new writer I meet to join a critique group. The insights of fellow writers is often invaluable. When I read someone's work, I consider it as a whole and piece by piece, line by line. In that way, the writer can see where I am providing a more objective view and where I am being subjective and nit-picky.

Plus it always amazes me when another wirter sees the same exact problems I do.

Any critique group is only as good as its weakest member, which I fear in both cases is me. Both groups have their strengths and weaknesses, but the one I will drop is obvious to me.

I won't inform the group until in January but the one I will drop is the monthly group. We only meet 11 times a year, whereas with the bi-weekly group we will meet at least 24 times in a year. Thus, by sheer numbers, it is a more productive group. But it is also a group with strong members.

In the end, I will know fairly soon if I made the correct decision, which also won't be set in stone. If this group doesn't work out, I will just find another one.

So there you have it.

My goals will be coming next week. Until then, thanks for reading and keep writing.

No comments: