Sunday, November 16, 2008

My Muse

I was at a reception and book unveiling last week for "Who's Who in Black Indianapolis" and saw my muse for "Death at the Jungle-bunny Journal." Well, in truth, Nichole is less a muse for the story than an inspiration for it.

I had decided on writing a murder mystery set in a black newspaper years before I met Nichole, who, as a physical therapist, worked on my left shoulder a number of years ago. But in talking to Nichole __ I talked a lot in therapy. It took my mind off the heavy work she had me doing during therapy __ the idea formed that was the basis for the story in Jungle-bunny.

I haven't seen Nichole in months. Periodically, we'd have lunch together. I did send her several chapters of an early version of the book, although she has never commented on them. Frankly, I'm not sure she read them. But no matter. I did my part.

For her part, Nichole reminds me of the hard work I put into the novel and of the hard work it is taking to get it published. In fact, I just noticed there is always a single person who has inspired each of my three novels.

My wife Angela inspired "Fighting Chaos" and there is a character in the book patterned after her. Nichole inspired Jungle-bunny and nominally there is a character patterned after her and in my newest offering, "The Death of Art" __ which I am still working on __ the niece of some close friends inspired the character of an early victim.

I wonder who will inpsire my next novel.

But before I get to that, I need to find an agent, take to get Jungle-bunny published and finish writing "The Death of Art." Quite a lot to do and so I am going to get on with it.

Thanks for reading and don't give up.

No comments: